Places We Have Called Home In 2019
Home Is Where We Park It: UMOM New Day Centers, Phoenix
Dec 23, 2019
Temperature 69 Degrees
Once There Were Seven
Drop In Projects – Christmas Week
Thinking out loud
Once there were seven
But now there are just two. Its as someone said the ebb and flow of a fulltimer’s life. Friendships made that will last forever. New friends waiting to be found. New places to see. It’s the thrill of I wonder what is around the next corner. We’re counting down the days, no make that hours before its jacks up and we’re rolling again. This is the life we live for.
Its Monday which means a work day. A work day that is laid back and easy to take. This is what is called a Drop In Week. No set schedule. A couple of minor projects that still need to be finished.
Now is that a supervisors smile or not? Bob looks a bit uncertain but I’m not.
First project completed today. This is a wrought iron fence that someone literally ripped from its mounting brackets. It took a little cement, some custom made brackets, a few lag bolts and we had it back in place.
Some touch up was necessary in the dining hall. A bit of Frog Tape and a little gray paint and this project was in the books.
One more for the guys.
Another wrought iron railing that had been pulled loose from its mounts. We drilled new holes for new lag bolts, readjusted its position and by early afternoon we were finished with this project. That’s it for us.
Meanwhile, over in the activity center.
Leone plus a couple of other volunteers continued to wrap presents.
That’s it for now. No more to do until Thursday. And Thursday we’ll be packing for a Friday departure.
In terms of Graybeard projects.
it was out with the old
and in with the new. What a difference! Turn on the water and it flows with force. Something in that old faucet must have really been clogged. The aerator for sure but since it is non-removable you can’t really clean it. No doubt the cartridge inside the faucet was also clogged. Honestly, the difference between the old and the new is like the difference between night and day. You can actually wash your hands in the sink, now, without an issue.
Which leaves only one more Graybeard project – pulling the toilet and replacing the water valve. In due time, in due time.
Thinking out loud, if you will. Having begun the process of shopping for a replacement for Graybeard some things are quite obvious
- Graybeard is one solid, dependable coach that has – and continues – to serve us well. A worthy successor is going to be hard to find.
- It’s very obvious that there are a lot of people who are still upside down, even after twelve years, in terms of an RV loan. How can you tell? The ridiculous price that they are asking for their coach. They want you, in essence, to pay off their loan
- A lot of rigs are used as is. There is no attempt to update and improve what the coach originally came with. The motto of many seems to be use it and discard it
- A quality name brand coach does not always stand the test of time. Some coaches that you believe would be rock solid even after several years just aren’t
- The best coach to look for seems to that of a full timer who is either going to a new rig or coming off the road. These are the coaches that are in tip top shape, taken care of, and with oodles of upgrades. Forget the miles it might have on it, you can count on the fact that it has been well maintained.
Enough rambling for now.
Time to close out our day on The Road of Retirement. It has been an easy one from start to finish. UMOM projects have been completed. Graybeard projects have been completed. Not a bad day at all. Through it all we continue to travel along, hand in hand, singing our song.
Glad you could make it today. We always enjoy your company and your comments. Catch your tomorrow.
These are the voyages of Graybeard and it’s two intrepid travelers. Our continuing mission: to explore as many new states as possible, to seek out new acquaintances and make new friends, to boldly go where we have never been before
See you on down the road
One thought on “TOUR AMERICA, 2019: PHOENIX, ARIZONA – THE GRAND CANYON STATE”
Barbara looks happy. Sounds like you really needed that faucet and now better than new. Your right, you know what you have in Graybeard and as long as it is good to you, you have time to watch for when your next one comes along. Merry Christmas and God Bless you both.